As an employer you are required to:
- Validate if the documents are genuine, original and unchanged and belong to the person who has given them to you
- The dates for the applicant’s right to work in the UK haven’t expired
- The photos are the same across all documents and look like the applicant
- The dates of birth are the same across all documents
- The applicant has permission to do the type of work you’re offering (including any limitations on the number of hours they can work)
Checking student status:
- Students must provide evidence of their study and vacation periods.
NB: If 2 documents give different names, the applicant must provide supporting documents showing why they’re different, eg a marriage certificate or divorce decree
NB 2: Onfido's service does not circumvent the requirements set for employers.
We also use our technology to also identify whether the document has been recorded as lost, stolen or compromised.
Please see more information on checking documents for Right to Work in the UK here.